7-day youth development voyagesVenture into the unknown and change your life forever! Order a voucher for Christmas!
Complete the voucher order form below and we will send you an invoice for payment prior to Christmas, or alternatively pay by Paypal and we will email the voucher to you directly. We are happy to offer a payment plan, with the conditions outlined below.
NB: if you pay by Paypal you can select either to pay the deposit indicating you wish to take a payment plan, or pay for the voucher in full.
- Trainee must meet our standard age and medical criteria
- Deposit must be received before Christmas for Voucher to be issued
- Voyage may not be taken until full payment received, although berth can be reserved once 50% payment has been received
|Payment schedule||Payment Date||Option A||Option B|
Order a voucher
The R.Tucker Thompson Sail Training Trust runs life changing adventures for young people aged between 13 and 18. They take place between April and November and are a suitable activity for those who are undergoing the Duke of Edinburgh’s Hillary Award or the St John Cadet Ventureship Gold Badge award. A recent survey carried out of parents and former sail trainees to test their effectiveness can be downloaded here.
This was one of the most amazing things i have done. I learnt so much about myself, and made some life long friends. This voyage takes you away from the modern life of a teenager where it is all about Facebook etc and made you make genuine friends and great memories which i will never forgetTrainee feedback
Our son has chosen not to be someone’s friend since the trip which was an awesome decision as this person had a huge influence on his decisions and outcomes. Now he is a changed boy and keen to become a volunteer for you!Parent feedback
Our youth development voyages are suitable for those taking their Bronze Adventurous Journey, Gold Adventurous Journey and Gold Residential awards. Please contact us in advance if you would like to book a Duke of Edinburgh Hillary placement.
On your voyage, you will
- Learn about sailing, general seamanship and safety at sea
- Learn about the environment and marine ecology and visit some amazing places
- Find out about navigation and how to read charts
- Learn how to fish, and if you are lucky catch your supper (don’t worry, we have other food available if you’re unlucky!)
- Take a turn at cooking in the galley
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Find out about Northland , New Zealand history and our culture
- And above all have fun while you get to sail an amazing tall ship!
Book your place!
If you have a preferred voyage date, and your funding already sorted, then just complete our voyage application form to secure your berth. Otherwise, fill in a registration of interest form and we’ll get back to you.
The R.Tucker Thompson Te Tai Tokerau Tall Ship Challenge, sponsored by Northpower and Top Energy, is a competition to find out which school team can demonstrate they have what it takes in terms of leadership, initiative and of course teamwork.
Teamwork will play an important part for the selection of the winning school, and the winning team will also demonstrate that they can work not just with the partner from their own school, but also members from other schools to complete their tasks. There will be physical hard work, some mental challenges as well as a lot of fun.
Challenges set during the 7-day voyage will be based on a range of activities such as sailing, physical activity, standard of daily drills and duties, swimming as well as positive interactions between others. They will also need to demonstrate that they understand Safety at Sea and how they can work together to ensure they complete the challenges in a safe and responsible way.
The Tai Tokerau Tall Ship Challenge will be held once a year and is open to all schools with secondary aged students. School places are allocated as follows:
- Whangarei District / Kaipara districts (3 places)
- Far North District (2 places)
- Any Northland school (1 place)
Only 6 schools can compete so schools wanting to enter will need to register their interest as soon as possible. For more information, or to register your school’s interest please complete the application form (MS Word) / PDF application form.
Previous winners are:
- Huanui School (2016)
- Opononi Area School (2015)
- Kaitaia College (2014)
- Huanui School (2013)
- Dargaville High School (2012)
- Whangarei Boys (2011)
- Bream Bay College (2010)