The R. Tucker Thompson Sail Training Trust invites applications from candidates interested in delivering our kaupapa Learning for Life Through the Sea as a Master on The Good Ship.
The R. Tucker Thompson is Northland’s own tall ship. It is held in a Charitable Trust and is based in Opua. During winter we take rangatahi youth on 7-day youth development voyages and in summer we offer day sails for visitors to Northland. She is a traditional gaff-rigged top’sl schooner based in the Bay of Islands.
Purpose of Position: To undertake the role of Ship’s Master on a casual basis. The part-time Master is responsible for the safety and care of the vessel, passengers, sail trainees, crew and of all aspects of the ship’s operation for tourism activities and Youth Development voyages. We aim to ensure the overall performance of the crew in delivering the ‘best day of their holiday’ for tourism passengers, and ‘life-changing’ experiences for sail trainees on Youth Development voyages.
Candidates with an interest in Tikanga Maori, youth development, and tall ship sailing would be ideal. This role is part-time, casual and flexible.
Tourism based activities (Summer)
- Taking overall charge of the safe sailing of the tall ship R. Tucker Thompson during day sails and evening sails in the Bay of Islands
- Maintaining a culture of safety for yourself, the other crew and passengers
- Taking pride in the appearance of the ship by ensuring that the crew keep it in a clean and orderly manner, both above decks and below
- Engaging with guests to share the Bay of Islands, its history, the ship’s adventures and her role as a Trust with visitors
Youth Sail Training responsibilities (Winter)
- Master in charge of the delivery of 7-day youth development voyages in accordance with R. Tucker Thompson’s programme, safety procedures and philosophies
- Leading a safe and nurturing environment so crew and sail trainees maximise their potential while on board
- Working with the crew to deliver the Youth programme. Deliver a Youth Programme in line with our values and kaupapa
- ILM certificate of competency (ring-fenced) or SRL endorsed to 24m and endorsed to carry more than 12 passengers
- Appropriate experience as Master
- Tall Ship or classic ship sailing experience involving traditional/gaff-rigged vessels
- Good track record of safety and safety procedures
- Proven ability to manage a crew for voyages
- Marlinspike and maintenance skills
- Full COVID 19 vaccination
If you are ready for variety and rewarding work in a not-for-profit organisation please send a Cover Letter and Resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description available here: PD – Master