This morning’s serene Waipiro Bay waters were marred only by the waves that broke the surface of the glassy water and the splashes, squeals and laughter that broke through the somewhat sleepy silence of sunrise. Refreshed and showered, the trainees broke into their duty groups and knuckled down like the seamen and women they almost are. Buckets were being hauled up and down, the deck was being scrubbed from bow to stern and the mop and broom were being re-acquainted with the floorboards below decks. Having well and truly earned their hot cocoa and breakfast the trainees settled in the saloon and filled their bellies.

After breakfast and its dishes were finished, everybody was hustled on deck to prepare our sails for well, a sail. Volunteers were conscripted to heave, sweat and tail whilst our high-flying adrenaline-junkie Aidyn, accompanied by faithful sidekick Aaron, shot up to the lower top’sil without hesitation to unfurl our sails. With the ship scrubbed, unfurled and ready to go we said goodbye to Waipiro Bay and set off to start our day.

A fresh gust of wind saw the sails taut and Tucker back in action within minutes. Just as soon as we were in full swing, the galley was coated in a thin layer of flour and custard powder as Georgia and Summer mucked in to help bake yo-yos. Halfway through preparing the second batch there was a brief pause as shouts were heard above deck. In an instant the galley’s occupants were ducking flying tupperware and pepper-grinders. There were impressive displays of reflexes and catches as we looked at each other, puzzled and slightly worried. Almost on cue, William bolted downstairs with rescued washing and the Captain popped her head through the companionway, “Just thought I’d warn you guys, we’ll be wearing again any minute now.” she said with a relieving air of cheeriness trailing her voice. We sighed, relieved and carried on with our cookies.

With the Yo-yos iced and in the fridge, and the winds settled to power us on at a leisurely pace, the galley was handed back to Kylie as she began preparing today’s lunch. The previous scenes of mild chaos, ropeburn and ever-shifting winds seemed almost never to have occurred. The lines were coiled and stored neatly and our young sailors were enjoying the gentle swell and uninterrupted sunshine. Lachlan and Aidyn were found napping on the bowsprit and Rob was happily preparing his drop-line with it’s brand-new shiny sinker.

After hunting for the perfect spot to drop our line, we made way for Oke Bay. We arrived just after one o’clock to a light breeze and even lighter swell. With the anchor away and our swimming enthusiasts eagerly waiting by the sea-gate the all-clear was given and the calm waters erupted into splashes, belly-flops and water-fights. With a hot, fresh pot of soup appearing on deck with a plate of bread, the scenes of shouting and play turned quickly into a banquet of silence.

After lunch, the trainees were sent ashore for a hike through the bush. We had barely left Tucker when excitement arose around us. Dolphins played lazily in the bay and many of youth watched, stunned by the sight. We cruised slowly into shore watching the playful sea-creatures from our craft. With the dolphins having left our line of sight we began our trek through the bush of Oke Bay. A stream caught Rob’s attention and it was decided that we would launch an expedition to find it’s source. This was no easy task at all!! Ridges were scaled, bushes were caught in hair and clothes and rocks tumbled to the flat ground below. Having come to a point where the stream divided into three smaller springs and our expeditioners split into groups of tired, more tired and far-too-energetic we doubled back and headed back to the dinghy.

Safely aboard, we are about to check our drop-line, but you’ll have to wait ’till tomorrow to hear about it. Oke Bay will see us again as our anchorage for tonight and we will be out of communications range. Wish us fish, leave a message and we’ll see you tomorrow!!

P.S. Photos for today and yesterday will be up early tomorrow afternoon